Sunday, November 8, 2009

SunWeb25 by Athos

Welcome to SunWeb25
Congratulations and Happy Birthday wishes to Derek Crozier, long time crossword setter to The Irish Times who this coming week will celebrate the publishing of his 1400th puzzle and the next day his 92nd. birthday.

Print the puzzle(pdf). Grid and clues on one landscape page.
Print the grid alone. A larger grid for easier entry.
See the solutions. The Grid Solved.
The solutions explained. A full explanation of the solutions.



















ACROSS
1 One metal two colours I see (10)
6 Southern wine is a hole, I hear, the beast (4)
10 Carps on a little bit (5)
11 See the lens on board, though unconscious (9)
12 Damn lass on the continent (8)
13 Improve after noon (5)
15 Around the side with hundreds the insect may react (7)
17 Disloyalty of the senator (7)
19 Leaves here with a crown (7)
21 Feel line, I hear (3-4)
22 I am not A, with you I hear it soak (5)
24 Aren't cut short? (8)
27 Live here on board (5-4)
28 See there, the French say there's oil in Virginia (5)
29 South of Houston Street from New York to London town (4)
30 Dry grannies with a bitter taste (10)


DOWN
1 A thousand in the hearth for a brew (4)
2 A tall tale of how to avert the rain (9)
3 Chew this for love around twenty two over seven (5)
4 Begin again about the southern pie (7)
5 Mend its attitude (4-3)
7 A weighty honour towards 4:30 (5)
8 I need cress in my houses (10)
9 Indulgent Declan has made his mark (8)
14 Legend illuminators on stage (10)
16 Like a beast in rut, as the editor learnt (8)
18 As a holy one, lit about in Oriental rice liquor (9)
20 Bring back the highest charges for the magic drinks (7)
21 One hundred flock to the North (7)
23 Half a century goes red in the shrub (5)
25 Spanish sparkler goes north to the county (5)
26 Without us the wealth will be about to stop (4)

Full Solution
ACROSS


1 monochrome.

MONO CHROME

6 boar.

BOAR [ S WINE ]

10 scrap.

CARPS [ anagram]

11 senseless.

SEE LENS SS [anagram]

12 landmass.

DAMN LASS [anagram]

13 amend.

AM END

15 oxidant.

O XI D ANT

17 treason.

SENATOR [ anagram]

19 treetop.

TREETOP

21 cat-like.

CAT-LIKE

22 imbue.

I'M B UE

24 truncate.

ARENT CUT [anagram]

27 house-boat.

HOUSE BOAT

28 voilĂ .

V OIL A

29 Soho.

SO HO

30 astringent.

TT GRANNIES [ anagram ]


DOWN

1 mash.

M ASH

2 narrative.

AVERT RAIN [narrative]

3 cupid.

CU [PI] D

4 restart.

STARTERS [anagram]

5 mind-set.

MEND ITS [anagram]

7 obese.

OBE SE

8 residences.

I NEED CRESS [ anagram]

9 decadent.

DEC A DENT

14 footlights.

FOOT LIGHTS

16 antlered.

RED TALENT [anagram]

18 saintlike.

SA [IN + TLI ] KE

20 potions.

POT IONS

21 cluster.

C + ULSTER [anagram]

23 blush.

B [ L ] USH

25 Cavan.

CAVA N

26 halt.

[WE] ALTH


Solved Grid

2 comments:

Bill Butler said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bill Butler said...

Hi Tommy,

I reckon today's SunWeb is your best yet, Tommy, even though I missed a tomtara by one clue. I am ashamed to say that even with my chemistry degree I missed OXIDANT. I just didn't get the "side" reference until after I saw the explanation. I threw in a Hail Mary ORIMANT, ignoring the "hundreds" and using RIM for "side". It was a tricky but fair clue, so my lack of an answer in no way spoiled today's enjoyment. There were so many excellent clues.

My notes along the way:

MONOCHROME: very, very clever clue!
TREASON: what an excellent anagram ... "senator!"
TREETOP: great clue, that reads so well, and really disguises the answer. Runner up for Clue of the Day.
TRUNCATE: you do spot such great, apt anagrams!
VOILA: this one reads so well ... Clue of the Day for me.
SOHO: another great clue, that gets bronze in the Clue of the Day competition.
ASTRINGENT: I got the answer, but you had to explain the TT!
MIND-SET: lovely surface reading, and very pithy.
OBE-SE: I've never seen the 4:30/SE device before. Clever!
DECADENT: classic!
POTIONS: another nice clue that reads so well.
CAVA-N: Lookup of the Day for me ... we Yanks don't get much exposure to Spanish "champagne".
HALT: what would a SunWeb puzzle be without a great deletion clue??!!

Really nice puzzle, Tommy. I look forward to seeing SunWeb14,000!