Sunday, August 30, 2009

SunWeb15 by Athos

Welcome to SunWeb15

Print the puzzle(pdf). Grid and clues on one landscape page.
Print the grid alone. A larger grid for easier entry.
See the solutions. The Grid Solved.
The solutions explained. A full explanation of the solutions.



ACROSS
1 Left in the ship and similar to him, thats fair (13)
10 Made fast here and not go anywhere, like the arab and gin (7)
11 After you've come before ten (6-1)
12 You cannot write when you have this, said the pig (4)
13 Sounds like this tree is on the shore (5)
15 Is current after a hundred under canvas (4)
17 It's bound to be a pain in the neck (3)
19 A ten in the ties, you can flag them down (6)
21 Sounds like a canine in this place, to mark your place (3-3)
22 Mike ran to get the dish (7)
23 I am not the full package, but I will pass it on (6)
25 It is a far better way to describe this unique trip (6)
27 Cor, what a monster (3)
29 This letter belongs to me and I get the prize (4)
30 Does he snore during siesta (5)
31 This report from the north in a sack (4)
34 A hundred on 15 across, that's what is in it (7)
35 The citation lost nothing and was still a great force (7)
36 A strong drink for the queen here, windy way down south (4,9)


DOWN
2 Dial a side in this park in Dublin (7)
3 It's dry around here for an attack (4)
4 The gin set makes its mark (6)
5 Father is around to testify with Benito (6)
6 Its twice the praise coming back (4)
7 I larked about in this county (7)
8 Sounds like, I am a rounded person since I got permission the bring it in (6,7)
9 Not the main part but capturing tops (10,3)
14 Not in relation to lateral motion control (7)
16 Mistake nearby, sweet or sour (5)
18 Jonathan had a laugh about it, read it again (5)
20 It comes up before the sun does (3)
21 With a hundred this gets around (3)
24 That's me with the coloured horse around, all sugar and spice (7)
26 Sounds like the holy man was after a Prophet or opposed to it (7)
27 Learnt how to let it out (6)
28 AB no, its about the rest, to conquer Mexico (6)
32 Even with no baton the policeman has this (4)
33 Give it your best shot, but not with a gun (4)


Full Solution


ACROSS


1 sportsmanlike.
S + PORT + S + MAN + LIKE
10 mooring.
MOOR + ING
11 double-u.
DOUBLE-U [ after UV and before X]
12 oink.
O + INK
13 beach.
BEACH [ sounds like BEECH]
15 camp.
C + AMP
17 tie.
TIE
19 taxies.
T + A X + IES
21 dog-ear.
DOG + EAR [here, sounds like]
22 ramekin.
MIKE + RAN [anagram]
23 impart.
IM + PART
25 safari.
IS + A + FAR [anagram]
27 roc.
ROC
29 Emmy.
EM + MY
30 SeƱor.
SNORE [anagram]
31 bang.
BA + N + G
34 content.
C + ON + TENT
35 titanic.
CITATI + [O] + N [deletion anagram]
36 Port Elizabeth.
PORT + ELIZABETH

DOWN
2 phoenix.
PHONE + XI [anagram]
3 raid.
ARID [anagram]
4 signet.
GIN + SET [anagram]
5 adduce.
AD + DUCE
6 laud.
LAUD
7 Kildare.
I + LARKED [anagram]
8 import licence.
I AM PORTLEY SINCE = IM PORT + LI + CENCE
9 supporting act.
CAPTURING TOPS [anagram]
14 aileron.
RELA [T]ION [deletion anagram]
16 berry.
B + ERR + Y
18 Jonah.
JON + AH, [Book of Jonah, from Prophets {a gain}}
20 sat.
SATurday
21 Dis.
DIS + C
24 pimento.
PI + [ME] + NTO = allspice or sweet pepper
26 against.
A + GAIN + ST
27 rental.
LEARNT [anagram]
28 Cortez.
RE + C TO Z [anagram]
32 beat.
BEAT
33 stab.
STAB

Solved Grid



3 comments:

Tommy Moran said...

Hi All,

With Firefox browser try the following if you are having difficulties viewing/opening pdf files. On your toolbar go Options -> Tools-> Click Applications tab.
Navigate down to Adobe Acrobat Document and in the drop-down menu after it select the default, in my case Acrobat Reader 8.1.

This worked for me!

Tommy Moran said...

Hi All Again,

Using Google Chrome, I encountered the damaged file message sometimes with my pdf files, by just using the Back arrow and clicking or double clicking the problem seemed to sort itself out, I have not yet tried Chrome Beta.

Good luck

Bill Butler said...

Tommy

Heartiest congratulations on what truly is a homage to the great man. I was wondering when you got to the Saturday grid, if you would also go with themed answers around the periphery, and you did so brilliantly. If you don't mind me saying so, I found this to be your best puzzle yet.

Of course it helped that I was able to solve the whole thing!

Some notes I made ...

DOUBLE-U: very clever!
OINK: Absolutely brilliant, and Clue of the Day for me. I love clever clues for short words.
RAMEKIN: Lookup of the Day for me, but I had heard of the term so was able to get the answer.
SAFARI: Lovely clue with a really well disguised signal for an anagram: "is a far" better way. I like anagram clues "far better" when they are cleverly "announced".
PORT ELIZABETH: a new "Windy City" for me.
LAUD: Second favorite clue of the day.
CORTEZ: Wow! The C-to-Z reference is wonderful, although it would have taken a miracle for me to have seen that, and then have to work the anagram. But ... I guessed correctly.

Well done, Tommy. Lots of fun.