Sunday, August 16, 2009

SunWeb13 by Athos

Welcome to SunWeb13

Print the puzzle(pdf).Grid, clues, solution and explanations(3 pages).
Print the grid alone. A larger grid for easier entry.
See the solutions. The Grid Solved.
The solutions explained. A full explanation of the solutions.



ACROSS
1 To imitate a pen, not for the news here (10)
6 Taken with rhu, you may be hooked (4)
10 When you have this, that’s when coffee is fine (2,3)
11 There’s fifty one in the roof-top just in case (9)
12 I heard this mad regal play one of his own (8)
13 Made a mistake around about not in the black (5)
15 No rest and relaxation in this code, sounds like it will test your mettle (7)
17 The French fleet in a booklet (7)
19 Very demanding former first gentleman (7)
21 I ‘m in a tangle, trying to make dessert (7)
22 My pink paper has been stolen (5)
24 Not short for crossing the river in this place (8)
27 These gypsies have a ball on the north side (9)
28 One horn or two, this beast (5)
29 Every ache considered on its own (4)
30 Take tea with fifty in New York after ten years, corruptly (10)

DOWN
1 This country has lost nothing to come across to the west of here (4)
2 Poor you, had a trip and landed in a scented mixture (3-6)
3 Backward is no bad, on the shore (5)
4 I beg for some rope and 1051 (7)
5 One is larger and taller than my six sisters in the northwest (7)
7 A no gin gambler can play his cards much better after losing a thousand (5)
8 It is wide and hard here, though long off the rails in Dublin (10)
9 In spite of expectations, double fifty at the end of a long time at the end of a vessel (5,3)
14 Satisfactory, to take 7 down without its tail (10)
16 Sounds like I am obvious, as we play past the whistle (8)
18 Set fire to the old city with a US soldier and a saint, I know my rites (9)
20 The sewers work on it, more ditches than stitches (7)
21 Let there be no obstacles to this Hindu, and no wider in hydrangeas (7)
23 In principle and it sounds like you have the hiccups (5)
25 Fake this gofer (5)
26 Hundreds in this lad, and not a corpse (4)

Full Solution

ACROSS

1 copywriter.
COPY + WRITER [here = in the Irish Times, not for the news = advertising]
6 barb.
rhu+ BARB
10 no tea.
NO + TEA
11 portfolio.
LI + ROOF+TOP [anagram]
12 folksong.
madrigal = FOLKSONG
13 erred.
Not in the black= in the red, ER + RE + D
15 corrode.
C + O + RR + ODE
17 leaflet.
LA + FLEET [anagram]
19 exigent.
EX + I + GENT
21 gelatin.
I + TANGLE [anagram]
22 theft.
THE + F[inancial] T[imes]
24 Longford.
LONG + FORD
27 Bohemians.
BOHEMIANS
28 rhino.
I + HORN [anagram]
29 each.
ACHE [anagram]
30 decadently.
DECADE + N + [T+ L] + Y


DOWN

1 CONG.
CONG + [ O ] deletion
2 pot-pourri.
POOR + U + TRIP [anagram]
3 wrack.
[BA] + CKWAR + [D] deletion and anagram
4 implore.
ROPE + MLI [Roman numeral 1051] anagram
5 Errigal.
I + LARGER [anagram]
7 abler.
[ G ] + A + [M ] + BLER double deletion
8 Broadstone.
BROAD + STONE
9 after all.
AFT + ERA + LL
14 acceptable.
ACCEPT + ABLE
16 overtime.
OVERT + IME
18 liturgist.
LIT + UR + GI + ST
20 tillage.
TILLAGE
21 Ganesha.
H + [YDR]+ ANGEAS [deletion and anagram]
23 ethic.
ET [and] + HIC
25 forge.

26 body.
BO + D + Y


Solved Grid



2 comments:

Bill Butler said...

I missed two answers today, and really should have gotten them. Kicking myself actually. I missed:

CORRODE: I got hung up on Morse code, and the Mohs Test (for minerals, not metals anyway). Went down the wrong road completely ...
ACCEPTABLE: thrown by my musings on CORRODE

My notes:

PORTFOLIO: nice clue.
THEFT: never seen the FT in a clue before. I will have to steal that one (and it's ilk)!
BOHEMIANS: Loved this clue for personal reasons, as well as the Irish reference. My Dad used to play for Bohs as a young man.
RHINO: Great anagram in a clue that reads so very well.
ERRIGAL: Great example of a peculiarly Irish clue, with the real "insider" Seven Sisters reference.
ABLER: A double deletion! Lovely.
BROADSTONE: I used to drive past this building every weekend visiting my grandmother. I never knew its history ...
OVERTIME: Clue of the Day for my money. Nice one.

I'm really enjoying your puzzles, Tommy. Keep 'em coming!

Unknown said...

Hi Tommy and Bill

Only getting round to doing last week's puzzle this week!!

Great puzzle - while I got the two that Bill missed, I was missing three others...DECADENTLY, TILLAGE and GANESHA...

Liked a lot of the same ones (and mostly for same reasons) as Bill...
particularly BROADSTONE and BOHEMIANS for the memories (although ours was a SHAMROCK ROVERS household!), PORTFOLIO and ERRIGAL.

I remember when I did your first few puzzles I was rude enough to complain that there were too many anagrams for my liking...well, today's RHINO and ABLER were great anag. clues...and because of spelling structure (RHINO)and pronunciation difference (GAMBLER/ABLER)they took a bit of teasing!

Many thanks Tommy and hope that renovation project is taking shape...

Liz