Sunday, July 19, 2009

SunWeb9 by Athos

Welcome to my crosswords, this is the ninth so far. I am using the same grids as Crosaire, in succession. This is a Saturday grid, but without the theme in the four long answers on the sides. Enjoy.

Print the puzzle(pdf). Grid and clues on one landscape page.
Print the grid alone. A larger grid for easier entry.
See the solutions. The Grid Solved.
The solutions explained. A full explanation of the solutions.


ACROSS
1 A thousand iconic lasses brought about this style revival (13)
10 There is no trail after this state, in which that woman be (7)
11 Let it go, about 50 x East, I hear (7)
12 Either way mother is back, and angry in the West (4)
13 I am not in the pink, at the foot of a cliff (5)
15 A cot, sounds like this duel has a hole in it (4)
17 Have a meal, but no grand meat (3)
19 Be quiet, the Welsh vegetable is about for some foreign money (6)
21 This show-off is so pure (6)
22 The Queen has come after Laurence is back on the dry, the noisy viper (7)
23 It’s about this string of crimes you have committed (6)
25 With native intent, tea and peach have too ease, I hear (6)
27 This bounder cannot draw (3)
29 Would take this for furniture (4)
30 On ahead of the Queen, it is a joke (5)
31 Beatrice is right; he is a beast (4)
34 Do doctors run things this way (7)
35 I have come afterwards alone (7)
36 Essentially, the analysts have built well (13)

DOWN
2 In the East, get up around the French five and have eaten (7)
3 Not a grand champion this lad (4)
4 Sounds immediately like a French echo of sweet tooth (2,4)
5 This sphere is inset for a tasty desert (6)
6 One hundred Alfred, this young mammal (4)
7 Climb the north-east slopes from different sides (7)
8 This assistant, of course, from the East gives only one portion, pity (13)
9 Before eleven, Arthur, the king of the East is indeed compassionate (6-7)
14 This sober artist takes the blame and is caught here (3-4)
16 This fruit, sounds like a French hat (5)
18 A bit for a hole, or in a pig (5)
20 Why not after the lord’s wife, like the end of 3 down (3)
21 There is not fifty in this skin, my dear (3)
24 Have a cuppa at the castle, are you coming after tea? (7)
26 The vicar is back in the bucket, to win the argument (7)
27 Arrived with the artist, to take a picture (6)
28 Edward’s about and you’re not in the picture to show it (6)
32 To a degree on board sing low or catch one (4)
33 Even when this virus loses its head, it can bring an animal down by the legs (4)


Full Solution
ACROSS
1 neoclassicism.
M + ICONIC + LASSES [anagram]
10 oregano.
OREGAN + O = [ a HER + B]
11 release.
RE + L + EASE[ E’s]
12 ma'am.
MA + AM
13 scree.
CER + [I] + SE [lose the I]
15 bead.
A + BED [ anagram]
17 eat.
[M] + EAT
19 shekel.
SH + LEEK [anagram]
21 poseur.
SO + PURE [anagram]
22 rattler.
RA + TT + L + ER
23 record.
RE + CORD
25 teepee.
T + EE + P + EE
27 cad.
CAD
29 teak.
TAKE [anagram]
30 caper.
CAP + ER
31 bear.
BEA + R
34 operate.
OPERATE [ surgery or run a business]
35 isolate.
I + SO + LATE
36 substantially.
ANALYSTS + BUILT [anagram]

DOWN
2 elevate.
E + LE + V + ATE
3 chap.
CHA + [M] + P , not a grand [M], deletion
4 at once.
TOUTE + SUITE = immediately = at once
5 sorbet.
S + ORB + ET
6 calf.
C + ALF
7 scalene.
SCALE + NE [ a triangle having three sides of different lengths]
8 commiseration.
COMMIS + E + RATION
9 tender-hearted.
TEN + DE + [RH + E + ART ]+ ED
14 rat-trap.
RA + TT + RAP
16 berry.
BERRY sounds like BERET
18 borer.
BO + R + ER
20 lad.
LAD +[Y] deletion
21 pet.
PE + [L] + T deletion
24 château.
CHA + TEA + U
26 prevail.
P + REV + AIL
27 camera.
CAME + RA
28 depict.
DE + PICT + [URE] deletion
32 bass.
BA + SS
33 bola.
[E] + BOLA deletion


Solved Grid


7 comments:

Bill Butler said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bill Butler said...

Hi Tommy,

Like most people, I enjoy a puzzle most when I can actually solve the whole thing correctly, and that's what I managed to do with your puzzle today!

I am getting more familiar with your style for sure. I really enjoyed the experience, and had the luxury of leaving it down for a couple of hours to let my subconscious work on a handful of clues that were remaining (SUBSTANTIALLY, ISOLATE, BEAD).

Some notes I made:

RECORD: Classic clue structure, but one that reads really, really well.
TEEPEE: Absolutely brilliant, and the Clue of the Day. The use of p-each is fantastic, and the whole concept of adding "ease" to a "t" and a "p" is very inventive. Truly, a wonderful clue.
ISOLATE: This one made me smile. I SO LATE sounds very Chinese-English. Second favorite clue for me.
SORBET: The use of "in-set" is lovely. You're a master at using these compound words to disguise intent (in-tent ... pun intended!).
SCALENE: Tommy's trademark, techy clue :o)

Keep up the good work, Tommy. I'll be on the road next weekend, and looking for somewhere to print out your next offering. Thanks again!

Unknown said...

Hi Tommy and Bill

Well done Bill...and that's difficult to say right now...only kidding, congrats!

I'm mad, mad, mad at myself!..went back for a second go at the puzzle...and was inspired! ...finished it...BUT...one fatal error...I had desist (makes no sense I know!)instead of DEPICT...kicking myself, it wasn't exactly the most difficult; I had a few other lucky guesses but this was just stupid!

I hit a wall yesterday, guess a bit of overkill with all the puzzles on offer! Anyway when I came back to your's today things fell into place...

You had some fantastic clues Tommy...my favourites

TEE PEE...what a p-each! Bill said it all....

CHATEAU...that cuppa 'cha' at the castle went down a treat! It had a particular resonance for me...a very close friend of mine is French, living here more than 20 years...we holiday in France, and always visit her parents when staying nearby...her dad is the quintessential Frenchman; the only food and wine is FRENCH food and wine! Difficult to bear gifts from Ireland...BUT...he does concede that Barry's Tea is superior to anything available in France...so we stick to the reliable Barry's (Irish!)Tea and a bottle of Bushmills!

TENDER-HEARTED...read beautifully

ISOLATE...working as an ESL teacher, this tickled me pink!

BOLA and SCALENE were my guesses that paid off...knew EBOLA but wasn't sure if BOLA was a word though have since checked it's meaning! Also had to check on SCALENE...maths being yet another of my blind spots...it's a wonder I can see at all!

I've one question regarding 10a...I assume you were referring to the US state of OREGON...if so should there not have been a sounds like indicator to differentiate OREGON/OREGAN?...left me a bit hesitant.

I also liked clues for COMMISERATION, BASS and AT ONCE!....loved the French slant today and reckon you definitely need to get to France soon Tommy, you're obviously in need of a fix (if you're not already there that is!).

Thanks for a great puzzle...a very fun one it was too!

Liz

Tommy Moran said...

Hi Bill and Liz, "my regulars" I will call you,

thanks again for the kind words and well done both.

I have attempted Rishi's and will be starting on your's, Bill, shortly.

I am in the Pyrenees all summer and working on the house and enjoying the Frenchness of everything, and of course solving and compiling a few puzzles on the way, especially when it gets too warm for me, like right now.

Bill Butler said...

Tommy,

Ah yes, working on a house in France. Images of Peter Mayle, and all so true, in my experience!

Enjoy that summer of yours :o)

Bill Butler said...

Liz,

Re Barry's Tea
I go as far as buying a few of the big boxes in the supermarket when I am in Ireland, and then emptying all the tea bags into a plastic bag so that I can get more into my suitcase!

Unknown said...

Hi Bill

...and back in the seventies the same was done with Tayto when going over and back to London...big boxes bought, dismantled and bags fitted in wherever...the difficulty was trying not to pulverise them...and yet squeeze in as many as possible...it was a big relief when they started stocking Tayto around the Irish areas!

Liz