Sunday, January 10, 2010

SunWeb32 by Athos

Welcome to SunWeb32
Print the puzzle(pdf). Grid and clues on one  page,
solution and explanations on two following pages.
Print the grid alone. A larger grid for easier entry.
See the solutions. The Grid Solved, on screen.
The solutions explained. A full explanation of the
solutions, on screen.




















ACROSS
1 Not a long suit for paper transport (9)
9 Up in the air in the beer (6)
10 Me and the barmen on the sheet (8)
11 Limb before the charge of this military unit (6)
12 Well-being with fifty in Hampstead (6)
14 Fire fodder (4)
15 This royal eastern county (5)
16 The clue is to get the water away (6)
18 Damn icy and not so still (7)
21 This grannie ran away from Fionn, with Diarmuid (7)
24 Go up the glen for a dip (6)
26 Rouse yourself to spend a few (5)
30 The artist has forty nine on track (4)
31 Little sister with me and 'im are getting sick (6)
32 This type of face, around tea relates to a body cavity (6)
33 The Vikings fled from here at nearly a quarter past ten (8)
34 WIth this score 10-0, he sang up (6)
35 Misjudge about red tuna (9)
DOWN
2 This joint is partly underwater (6)
3 Listen Mummy, if I am back for my degree at 9:50 (6)
4 Ha ha and a millilitre, for a dance (3-3)
5 Engrave in the sky, but not the full picture (7)
6 Fifty reels will flog it again (6)
7 I nail up after 104 though I am no soldier (8)
8 Give this incompetent lender the rub (9)
11 The earl's optical device (5)
13 Swarm the side, I hear (4)
17 Father Pat is around and can make these changes (9)
19 Sounds like a new tree, no smaller than 22 down (8)
20 This is how I start the game, if it suits (5)
22 A little one but not n to z (4)
23 Flies with a €500 note in place (7)
25 Serious fifty with rasping sound (6)
27 Unlikely meteor (6)
28 Which part of the corset is in the round (6)
29 A tiger with a tall feather (6)



Full Solution
ACROSS
1 briefcase.
BRIEF + CASE
9 aerial.
AIR + ALE [anagram]
10 membrane.
ME + BARMEN [anagram]
11 legion.
LEG + ION
12 health.
HEA [L] TH
14 coal.
COAL
15 Meath.
MEATH
16 sluice.
CLUE + IS [anagram]
18 dynamic.
DAMN + ICY [anagram]
21 Gráinne.
GRANNIE [anagram]
24 plunge.
UP GLEN [anagram]
26 euros.
ROUSE [anagram]
30 rail.
RA + IL
31 emesis.
SIS + ME + E [anagram]
32 atrial.
A [T] RIAL
33 CLONTARF.
CLONTARF [ battle of 1014]
34 linnet.
LIN- NET [ = TEN-NIL backwards]
35 underrate.
RE + RED + TUNA [anagram]
DOWN
2 reefer.
REEF + ER
3 embalm.
EM + BA + LM
4 cha-cha.
HA HA CC [anagram]
5 sketchy.
SK + ETCH + Y
6 resell.
REELS + L [anagram]
7 civilian.
CIV I LIAN
8 blunderer.
LENDER + RUB [anagram]
11 laser.
EARLS [anagram]
13 teem.
TEEM
17 adaptable.
DA PAT ABLE [anagram]
19 neutrino.
NEU TRI NO
20 ideal.
I DEAL
22 atom.
A TO M
23 pelican.
IN PLACE [anagram, flies=bird, €500 note=large bill]
25 gravel.
GRAVE + L
27 remote.
METEOR [anagram]
28 sector.
CORSET [anagram]
29 aigret.
A TIGER [anagram]

Solved Grid


3 comments:

Bill Butler said...

Hi Tommy,

I missed two! I couldn't come up with REEFER (I live to clean a life!) nor BRIEFCASE. My bad ... good clue.

Notes along the way:
EMESIS: Lookup of the Day, but I was able to guess that emetic derived from EMESIS.
LINNET: Classic clue, very nice.
CHA-CHA: Physiclue no. 1!
SKETCHY: Again clasic, and a favorite.
CIVILIAN: another smiley face.
NEUTRINO: Physiclue No. 2, and a nice one.
ATOM: Brilliant! Clue of the Day without a doubt.
AIGRET: Got this one with the help of the NYTimes crossword!

I got though a mug of tea, and then had to admit defeat on those two clues. I should have kept at them though. Maybe could have changed my approach to the clues. Kicking myself!

Great puzzle, Tommy. Many thanks!

Unknown said...

Hi Tommy and Bill

Was great to get round to doing a SunWeb...it's been too long! But didn't finish either...short three!

Along with Bill, my clean-living ways refused to bring forth the REEFER! Down south-west, I foolishly put in ADAPTANCE!?...dunno, but somehow was trying to use CAN as part anagram...ABLE...aaagh! So that left the lovely LINNET starting with the letter C...I duly put in CANTED!

I had some lucky guesses...EMESIS (like Bill, got this from EMETIC), AIGRET and the good old physiclue NEUTRINO...my physi-education stopped at NEUTRON...but I entended myself today!

My Clue of the Day goes to CLONTARF...along with my lack of military knowledge, remembering battle dates has never been high on the list of priorities...but 1014 is deeply engrained!

Other favourites were SLUICE, SKETCHY, CIVILIAN, TEAM and REMOTE

Thanks for a great puzzle Tommy.

Liz

Unknown said...

Tommy

Forgot to mention the brilliant ATOM!

Liz