Sunday, October 11, 2009

SunWeb21 by Athos

Welcome to SunWeb21

Print the puzzle(pdf). Grid and clues on one landscape page.
Print the grid alone. A larger grid for easier entry.
See the solutions. The Grid Solved.
The solutions explained. A full explanation of the solutions.




















ACROSS


1 Iberian castle wines (6,3,4)

10 Grecian tipple retains a resin flavour (7)

11 I see the harbour around this entrance (7)

12 Quiet help with no more expense (4)

13 After tea on court in the West (5)

15 Meet 'er in verse, I hear (4)

17 The saint has lost it, yet retains his identity (3)

19 Windy's music with 15 across, I hear (6)

21 He is not about to be bothered with his bills (6)

22 Farmer shoots arrows northwards (7)

23 There is a hundred in the set and six legs too (6)

25 The Sultan ate one French rib (6)

27 He is around the Ladies here (3)

29 Typical, no man around (4)

30 Gullible Irishman (5)

31 It is not with tubing you close the hole (4)

34 Bringing four to the altar is hard work (7)

35 I go back for a drink there and stop commerce (7)

36 Turn the e-mail typo around in a begging way (13)


DOWN

2 Greet the abstainer with gin, striking (7)

3 Disarm without the lady with an ambush (4)

4 Longs for a time at the poles (6)

5 The god is back before his family with a bib (6)

6 Sounds like you cut the fruit down bit by bit (4)

7 Fancy dress for me on the train (7)

8 Consumed no amateur helping in a balanced way (13)

9 Quiet or pitch the heavy fish around the Midlands (13)

14 Northern slope at the start (7)

16 The stuffing of comedy (5)

18 Alone in the south-west, with 13a in Wicklow (5)

20 When do you think you will come to tea? (3)

21 No credit without it and she comes of age (3)

24 A Catholic in celebration with scorn (7)

26 No charge here on the fence (7)

27 With fifty in the metal made a hammer (6)

28 Senators not so far back on board (6)

32 Raise the pitch with nothing on ahead (4)

33 Help to do no good with 15 across around (4)


ACROSS


1 SHERRY AND PORT.

Sherry and Port are fortified wines

10 retsina.

RETAINS [anagram]

11 portico.

PORT + I C + O

12 paid.

PAID

13 Ennis.

[T] ENNIS

15 beat.

BEAT

17 san.

San as in San Francisco

19 reggae.

West Indies music = reggae

21 debtor.

BOT [HE] RED deletion anagram

22 rancher.

ARCHER + N [anagram]

23 insect.

IN + SE [C] T

25 Brunei.

UNE + RIB [anagram]

27 mna.

MAN [anagram] = Gaelic for ladies

29 norm.

NO + MR [anagram]

30 patsy.

PATSY

31 bung.

[T] + UB +[I] + NG deletion anagram

34 travail.

IV + ALTAR [anagram]

35 embargo.

ME + BAR + GO [anagram]

36 importunately.

TURN EMAIL TYPO [anagram]


DOWN

2 hitting.

HI + TT +GIN [anagram]

3 raid.

DI [S] AR [M] delete Ms

4 yearns.

YEAR + NS

5 napkin.

NAP + KIN

6 pare.

PARE

7 raiment.

ME + TRAIN [anagram]

8 proportionate.

PRO + PORTION + ATE

9 Portarlington.

P + OR + TAR + LING + TON

14 nascent.

N + ASCENT

16 farce.

FARCE

18 Kerry.

KERRY

20 eat.

ETA [anagram]

21 deb.

DEB [IT] deletion

24 sarcasm.

A + RC + MASS [anagram]

26 neutral.

NEUTRAL

27 mallet.

L + METAL [anagram]

28 astern.

[S] ENAT [O] RS deletion anagram

32 capo.

O + CAP [anagram]

33 abet.

ABET




2 comments:

Bill Butler said...

Hi Tommy,

Great puzzle, Tommy, really, really enjoyable. I admit I tend to look more kindly on puzzles that I finish, but still this was a particularly good one, with lots of "aha" moments. I always enjoy Crosaire's Saturday themed puzzles, so it was lovely to be greeted with his Saturday grid today. Oh, and in terms of time to finish, I reckon I hit the LeaderBoard at just over half-a-mug of Barry's finest (and it was my last tea bag ... will have to make a trip home soon!).

My notes along the way:

SHERRY AND PORT and RETSINA ... an alcoholic opening, so I knew I was in for a good time :)
REGGAE ... I didn't get the "aha" moment till I saw your explanation, but "Windy's" for W. Indies ... gorgeous.
DEBTOR ... clever deletion, again that needed your explanation for the "aha" ... lovely.
MNA ... I love the Irish clues that you can only get with the "secret handshake".
NORM ... I was a tad disappointed when I worked this one out, because I thought MOAN would have been a brilliant answer to this clue!
IMPORTUNATELY ... fabulous anagram that was really well hidden.
YEARNS ... classic, tight.
NAPKIN ... also classic, tight and reads well.
PORTARLINGTON ... very tight as well, and runner up for Clue of the Day.
FARCE ... I vaguely recollected the "stuffing" definition, but I nominate this as the Lookup of the Day.
KERRY ... Clue of the Day, without a doubt. It reads beautifully, and the pairing with ENNIS is superb. One of your best clues ever, in my humble opinion.
ASTERN ... very nicely disguised deletion.

This puzzle had everything ... except your signature "physiclue"! Maybe next week you'll fix that :o) Great fun, Tommy. Thanks for posting.

Mark Bell said...

Hi Tommy,

Fantastic puzzle. Very doable and a full tantara today in just an hour. Your answer's provided alot of "aha" moments for me and thats what makes it all worth while. Some clues may be vague like 1A for an inexperienced solver but for us "experts" its never that too tough. REGGAE was the answer of the day because of the superb clue. Really had me stumped but I use that method alot on my puzzles.

YEARNS was a classic and lovely clue.

The three 13 letter words really stumped me due to a lack of knowledge of very long words or place names but I managed them quite well. Your style is very unique but keeps to the format of our Derek.

Anyway thanks for the contribution each Sunday.

All the best,

Mark