Sunday, October 4, 2009

SunWeb20 by Athos

Welcome to SunWeb20

Print the puzzle(pdf). Grid and clues on one landscape page.
Print the grid alone. A larger grid for easier entry.
See the solutions. The Grid Solved.
The solutions explained. A full explanation of the solutions.





















ACROSS


1 Professional lightweight performance (9)
9 The engineer didn't go seafaring overland (6)
10 Mother, insanity holds it all together (8)
11 On the face of it, a calf with me (6)
12 Trap her underneath (6)
14 Stories after tea to seal it up (4)
15 Fish 'n' chips (1-3-1)
16 Mother kneels before the metal boxes to pray at daybeak (6)
18 Not on strike, way-out (7)
21 Perceived to have lost four beforehand (7)
24 Swiss Italian capital will put a shine on your plate (6)
26 Is X around here in the big picture? (5)
30 Not written or a fifty (4)
31 You'll hear it from Bray Head (6)
32 Freak mutt is not available (6)
33 It's fifty fifty to win a grand around here (8)
34 Approved to be alright before a dye (6)
35 Gee, mother beams back and forth before these fishes (5,4)

DOWN

2 About father and the Queen in the textbook (6)
3 Ghi for a peaceful Indian (6)
4 Back on board (6)
5 Just a month in London (7)
6 Has spoken in a sheepish way in Malaya (6)
7 Notwithstanding I get up, sounds ridiculous (8)
8 Murder the young bull around this village here (9)
11 I am back in the fur, for the big bone (5)
13 Artistic support or agreement with fifty (4)
17 Mother sings and hums a lullaby in the West (9)
19 Stamp of approval covers these after last month (5-3)
20 Warn later (5)
22 Fence off the end of the Indian tent (4)
23 Led to uncertainty by the Imam (7)
25 Molly was one in Dublin (6)
27 Manholes have none for peace (6)
28 Balance precariously with a tree on the end (6)
29 I heard y'all come around after the state, to the tribal city here (6)

Full Solution
ACROSS
1 programme.
PRO + GRAMME
9 safari.
S [E] AFARI [NG] deletion
10 mainstay.
MA SANITY [anagram]
11 facial.
A CALF I [anagram]
12 nether.
NET HER
14 ales.
[T] ALES deletion
15 I-and-I.
One-and-one I-AND-I
16 matins.
MA TINS
18 offbeat.
OFF BEAT
21 precede.
PERCE [IV] ED deletion anagram
24 chrome.
CH ROME
26 inset.
IS TEN [anagram]
30 oral.
OR A L
31 heehaw.
HEE HAW
32 mutant.
MUTT NA [anagram]
33 Milltown.
M L L TO WIN [anagram]
34 okayed.
OK A DYE [anagram]
35 gamma rays.
G AM MA RAYS

DOWN
2 reader.
RE AD ER
3 Gandhi.
G AND HI
4 astern.
ASTERN
5 Mayfair.
MAY FAIR
6 Bahasa.
BA HAS A [insertion]
7 satirize.
SAT I RISE[phononym]
8 Killester.
KILL STEER[anagram]
11 femur.
F + EM + UR
13 ease.
EASE[L] or [L]EASE
17 Roscommon.
MOM CROONS [anagram]
19 first-day.
FIRST DAY
20 alert.
LATER [anagram]
22 épée.
[T] EPEE
23 dilemma.
LED IMAM [anagram]
25 monger.
MONGER
27 shalom.
MA [N] HOL [E] S deletion anagram
28 teeter.
TEETER
29 Galway.
GA + YAWL [anagram]

Solved Grid

2 comments:

Bill Butler said...

Hi Tommy,

One off the tantara today, after three cups of Barry's finest. I had HABASA instead of BAHASA, because I assumed it was a anagram of HAS and BAA, instead of a simple insertion. My bad! I thought this was definitely one of your finer puzzles, Tommy.

Notes along the way (lots of them!):

PROGRAMME: this took me longer than it should because of my Americanized spelling of gram and program!
MAINSTAY: nice use of in-sanity.
OFFBEAT: lovely clue, that foxed me right through to the third cuppa.
PRECEDE: loved the deletion.
CHROME: great surface reading and a brilliant clue.
GAMMA RAYS: Clue of the Day! And your "physiclue" to boot!
GANDHI: runner up for Clue of the Day ... fabulous!
MAYFAIR: nice and pithy.
BAHASA: Lookup of the Day.
SATIRISE: another nice one, classic clue structure.
ALERT: pithy in the extreme ... very nice!
MONGER: I love a Dub clue ...
TEETER: you're taking lessons from M. Crosaire!

Great stuff, Tommy. Thanks!

Bill

Unknown said...

Hi Tommy and Bill

I was way off the mark for a tantara!! I made a really stupid mistake in that lovely GANDHI clue...carelessly split to GHandI...which in turn messed up MAINSTAY and NETHER...very annoyed with myself, because I spotted NETHER but was so cocky about my peaceful Indian that I never gave it a second glance/chance to correct my awful spelling!

The two other brilliant clues that were lost on me...ROSCOMMON and CHROME.

Bill gave a great low-down on the clues...the other two clues/solutions that I loved...MILLTOWN and HEEHAW...

Despite my abysmal failure, it was a great puzzle Tommy.

I'll try harder for success next week!

Thanks
Liz