Sunday, September 13, 2009

SunWeb17 by Athos

Welcome to SunWeb17

Print the puzzle(pdf). Grid and clues on one landscape page.
Print the grid alone. A larger grid for easier entry.
See the solutions. The Grid Solved.
The solutions explained. A full explanation of the solutions.



ACROSS
1 Its very moving to take a flight (9)
9 Is Graham up north (6)
10 I see a list after the piggery, in a manner of speaking (9)
11 Did he slip back in the long one, to cover the crown (6)
12 Ran out 150 in Ulster, by night (9)
13 For all it's like a bloomer (6)
17 One of these would make you wonder, once (3)
19 This terminal has a feline brick carrier to the east (7)
20 No ten could fly in England but not in part here (3-4)
21 This water is ever about in verse (3)
23 55 North about 3 e's inside (6)
27 It is that I can put a value on it (9)
28 Poke at the French, steady on (6)
29 It's crazy to take it out of the oven during the interval (4-5)
30 The Scotsman is around sir, with prejudice (6)
31 They'd dare to remove the water (9)

DOWN
2 No drink for us back on the Northside (6)
3 Recede about fifty by erosion (6)
4 Become imbued around south after the seaman (6)
5 Are the Magi back in the fold here (7)
6 Interpret the art back up north on the roof (9)
7 Spoil more Albert with streaks and veins (9)
8 Feel fifty fish defore it goes off (5,4)
14 Roy came around after the saints had a hundred in one, in a supportive role (9)
15 Natter on cue by making this (9)
16 Sounds like four suits reclaimed the mortgage (9)
17 With a German one in this place (3)
18 Towards the east on foot (3)
22 Leave two poles to subjugate (7)
24 This fifty sounds a bit iffy as it divides the city (6)
25 This market sounds very unconventional (6)
26 Fifty one in small change for the customer (6)

Full Solution
ACROSS
1 escalator.
ESCALATOR
9 Armagh.
GRAHAM [anagram]
10 stylistic.
STY + LIST + I + C
11 enamel.
E + NAM + EL
12 nocturnal.
RAN + OUT + CL + N [anagram]
13 floral.
FOR + ALL [floral]
17 hit.
HIT
19 cathode.
CAT + HOD + E
20 out-half.
No. 10 position in rugby team, fly-half or OUT [not in] + HALF [part]
21 ree.
E'ER
23 eleven.
E + E + E + LV + N [anagram]
27 estimable.
EST [it is] + I'M ABLE
28 stable.
STAB + LE
29 half-baked.
HALF - BAKED
30 racism.
MAC +SIR [anagram]
31 dehydrate.
THEY'D + DARE [anagram]

DOWN
2 Sutton.
TT + US + ON [anagram]
3 ablate.
ABATE + L [ anagram]
4 absorb.
AB + S + ORB
5 origami.
MAGI + ROI [anagram]
6 translate.
ART + N + SLATE [anargam]
7 marmoreal.
MAR + MORE + AL
8 shelf life.
FEEL + L + FISH [anagram]
14 accessory.
A [C]CE + SS + ORY
15 utterance.
NATTER + CUE [anagram]
16 foreclose.
FORE CLOSE
17 her.
HER + [EIN]
18 toe.
TO + E
22 enslave.
LEAVE + N + S
24 Liffey.
L + IFFEY
25 bazaar.
BAZAAR [souns like bizarre]
26 client.
C [ LI] ENT

Solved Grid

8 comments:

Mark Bell said...

Hey Tommy,
Comgrats on a very enjoyable puzzle. Challenging yet not impossible. I managed to get all except the NE Corner. I think after a while my brain switches off. A few coments about the clues:

NOCTURNAL and STYLISTIC were excellent. I love the way you make the clues very readable yet have all the indicators present.

CATHODE: I was not sure what a HOD was but I knew the terminal reference. I looked up HOD after and makes sense now.

DEHYDRATE: Excellent use of They'd dare! The clue was very M.CROSAIRE

SUTTON and LIFFEY: I take it you may be a northsider. :)

As i said, it was a great puzzle. Keep them coming. All the best,

Mark

Bill Butler said...

Hi Tommy,

I hope you're having fun with your grandson.

I thought today's crossword was excellent. I missed the tantara by one, making a wild guess at ALLUTE instead of putting in ABLATE that I should have gotten from a very good clue. No one to blame except myself.

My notes along the way:

FLORAL: Nicely worded clue that had me looking elsewhere for the answer, instead of a simple anagram.
REE: Lovely short clue for a short word. Very nice indeed ... and the Irish reference is always welcome.
ESTIMABLE: I do like your use of Latin, French, German, Spanish (of which this is a good example) ... you're a man of the world, Tommy!
DEHYDRATE: This clue reads very well, I thought.
MARMOREAL: Lookup of the day!
UTTERANCE: Excellent anagram that reflects the meaning of the answer. A clear winner for Clue of the Day for me.
FORECLOSE: Very contemporary and a propos!
CLIENT: Very tight clue ... classic.

And CATHODE qualifies as your signature "physiclue"!!

Great stuff, Tommy. You're definitely in the groove.

And Mark, based on today's and prior puzzles, I'm guessing Tommy is a northsider too!

Unknown said...

Hi Tommy and Gang,

Very enjoyable puzzle...and all the better for having earned myself a TOMTARA in the process!

UTTERANCE and DEHYDRATE were both so concise and clever...

CATHODE...a nice walk to the solution...probably just as well I knew that a hod was a brick carrier...otherwise the TERMINAL ref. might have sent me hither and tither...though I'd probably have spotted the chemi-connection... eventually!

I'd heard of MARMOLEUM before...but MARMOREAL was new to me...the clear clue took me there...and you know what, bet it's possible to get MARMOREAL effect MARMOLEUM!!

I loved ESCALATOR...a wonderful flight of fancy!

ENAMEL was my last one in...was juggling with the clue...and each time I looked at -N-M-L all I could see was ANIMAL...but I thought long and HARD haha!

And Mark and Tommy...we had TERENURE last week, and I remember FIVE LAMPS and MERRION SQUARE from earlier puzzles....so me thinks Tommy might be keeping a foot in on both sides of the Whiffey!!

Thanks again Tommy

Liz

Unknown said...

Me again...oops...meant to say Mark and Bill there at the end!

Liz

Bill Butler said...

Liz,

I stand corrected. Tommy has indeed given us the Grand Tour of Dublin.

He doesn't much get out of the city though ... :o)

Tommy Moran said...

Hi Guys and Gal,

Come on, yes, I am a Northsider and proud of it, started in Artane when it was all fields, moved into city on corner of Nth. Richmond St. and N.C.Rd. Married a Wicklow girl and have lived in the county for nearly forty years.

Don't get out much eh?
Checking from SunWeb11 onwards:
Armagh, Camden, Galway, Port Elizabeth, Kildare, Fota, Shannon, Longford, Cong, Errigal, Carlow, Tyrone, Malin, Mizen, Severn and Kinsale.

I rest my case

Bill Butler said...

Tommy!

I certainly got a rise out of you :o)

We finally found a northsider that travels! lol

My Dad was from Cabra, mother from Pembroke, so I have "mixed blood". To make it worse, I was born over in London while they were over there making their fame and fortune (but didn't ... had kids instead!).

Looking forward to seeing where you bring us on the Grand Tour in next Sunday's crossword, Tommy :o)

Unknown said...

Hi Tommy

Cards on the table...although I grew up on the southside of Dublin, ...half of the blood is northside...and back another generation or two there's even some Wicklow in that...and the other half from further flung corners outside The Pale...so I guess that makes me a very HALF-BAKED Dub...who's ended up on the northside of the second city...oops hope Peter's not reading this...he'd call it the REAL CAPITAL!!

Liz